SIP Trunking is an innovative technology of combining data and voice over a single broadband circuit. It offers both VoIP and streaming media services based on the SIP- Session Initiation Protocol- provided by an Internet Telephony Service provider (ITSP), like Phonetel Inc. to subscribers equipped with a PBX. In contrast to traditional telephony that solely relied on bundles of copper wires to connect the service provider to the consumer, a SIP Trunk replaces fixed Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) lines with PSTN connectivity offered via the internet.
Architecture of SIP Trunks
Basically, 3 components are needed to deploy SIP Trunks: an SIP Trunking or an internet service provider, a PBX with a SIP enabled Trunk side, and an enterprise border element that is SIP-enabled.
#1: The PBX
Typically, the PBX is IP-based and enables communication with all the available endpoints over IP. Nevertheless, a traditional analogue or digital PBX box can be used. The main requirement is that there has to be an interface device suited for SIP trunking.
#2: Enterprise Border Element
The enterprise border element main function is to connect and manage the traffic between the PBX connected to the local area network (LAN) and the ITSP. The enterprise border component can either be a device connected to a firewall or a firewall that supports SIP.
#3: Internet Telephone Service Provider-ITSP
The ITSP provides the internet connectivity to support communication on the PSTN. In addition, the ITSP is responsible to the relevant authorities regarding abiding to all law obligations of the public domain.
Benefits of SIP Trunking
- Although SIP trunking is routed over an IP, its calls have superb quality with minimal delays. As such, users feel as though they are close by even when they are miles apart.
- Since trunking costs are significantly lower than those of PSTN, companies will experience greater savings.
- Also, since no new hardware is needed, companies will not have to buy additional equipment, such as PRI cards that cost nearly $3,000.
One key benefit of SIP Trunks is the cost savings accrued once the system is deployed. This is because it eliminates the costs of installing and maintaining fixed PSTN lines, and costly ISDN Basic Rate Interfaces (BRIs) or Primary Rate Interfaces (PRIs). In addition, service providers offer users customized services with add-on features like extra toll free numbers, automatic fall-over etc.
Advantages of SIP trunking for small and large businesses
- SIP trunking technology is simply a cheaper way for companies to handle all their communication needs. With SIP trunking services like Phonetel, companies can enjoy better communication, lower costs and higher returns on their investments.
- Companies can use SIP trunking to make traditional voice calls, 3-way calls, and for conferencing. In addition, trunking applications can be used to carry out other business functions such as application sharing, instant messaging, presence applications and whiteboards among other components of real-time communication.
- Since SIP trunking does not need physical wires to transfer communication, businesses can save a lot using the technology and experience greater efficiency and productivity in their communication. This translates to higher ROI due to reduced operation costs.
- SIP Trunking offers both VoIP and streaming media services over a single broadband circuit.
- The major benefit of SIP trunking is that it significantly cuts communication costs.
- The main components of a SIP trunking system include PBX, internet service provider and an enterprise border element.